OSU Stone Labs
Created in 1895 and located on the 6.5-acre Gibraltar Island at Put in Bay, Frantz Theodore Stone Laboratory is Ohio's Lake Erie laboratory. It is the nation's oldest freshwater biological field station and the Island Campus of The Ohio State University. The Laboratory offers college-level courses each summer with faculty and students coming from all over the country. Since 1990, students from 40 Ohio colleges, 27 out-of-state colleges, and 257 high schools have taken these courses for college credit. The Laboratory also provides a facility for year-round research, offers special conference facilities and speakers, and develops and offers custom-designed Aquatic Workshop programs for grades 4 through adult with over 5,000 participants annually.